Friday, March 04, 2005

Maya

I understand intellectually that getting gratification from worldly pleasures is illusory and transient, but I have to confess that I always get a great buzz from turning on Radio 4 of a Friday evening and not hearing the words "Francis Wheen" when the contestants on the News Quiz are announced. Especially if the words "Janet Street Porter" are also absent.
The question for the mystics, philosophers and sages out there (a Mrs Tulsidas of North Wales), is whether the chief characteristic of Kaliyuga is the presence of Francis Wheen on a medium of popular entertainment, or the derivation of enjoyment by the populace created by his absence.

10 comments:

broomhilda said...

My dear Vicus, Just as life itself is transient and for the most part an illusion, so is the delusion that the chief characteristic of Kaliyuga is based on anything other than that glorious medium - bullshit. Worldly pleasures, yes, transient, yes, at times illusory, but hey - get it where you can. That is just my humble opinion.

Mark Gamon said...

I feel the same about Mark Kermode doing that arts slot on Newsnight. Germaine Greer, on the other hand, is always welcome. Because she's guaranteed to take the opposite side of any argument just for the hell of the debate...

Colin Davey said...

It was (d)- Oldham Athletic

Anonymous said...

I'm new to this feast of wit and erudition (and Mark Gamon's) so please fill me in regarding what you've got against Francis Wheen. I know he looks a bit funny, but I always thought he wrote rather well. Mind you, I also thought Simon Hoggart writes well but I've rather gone off him since we learned that he was one in the queue with Blunkett.

Vicus Scurra said...

Not that you aren't more than welcome here, old chap, but do you really need to ask?
I think that the appropriate colloquiallism is that he is up himself.

broomhilda said...

Vicus,

Perhaps a good colonial colloqiallism would be full of himself? There are others, but Mark would take me to task for my language.

Vicus Scurra said...

Is that Task, North Dakota or Task, Nebraska?

Mark Gamon said...

I'm in awe of the phrase 'colonial colloquialism'.

No wonder America is Top Nation these days...

Mark Gamon said...

Task Nebraska, Task North Dakota. Doesn't make much difference this time of the year. I hope they have central heating when we get there...

R J Keefe said...

There's a Mark Kermode?