Sunday, August 24, 2014

Maud - sod off out of my garden you bloody hoodlum

Our walk today took us to Waggoners Wells, where there is a plaque commemorating a poem written there by Tennyson in 1863.

Here is what Alf wrote:

"Flower in the crannied wall"

Flower in the crannied wall,
I pluck you out of the crannies,
I hold you here, root and all, in my hand,
Little flower—but if I could understand
What you are, root and all, and all in all,
I should know what God and man is.

Here is the poem I wrote today:

Flower in the crannied wall
I leave you just where I found you
If every bugger tore out the flora
Mankind would all be much the poorer
Tennyson, poet or a know it all?
Vandal. That is God’s (and also my) view


Will I get a plaque? Will I bollocks.

7 comments:

Joanne Noragon said...

On the other hand, flora predated walls and so the little blossom is damned if it does and damned if it doesn't, so to speak. Ripping the wall down on its own, or ripped out by the likes of Alf.

Vicus Scurra said...

I am on the side of the flowers, Joanne. I don't even wear them in my hair these days.

Richard said...

Beware of the flowers 'cos I'm sure they're gonna get you, yeah.

John Otway, 1977. Maybe he was thinking the same thing.

dinahmow said...

Perhaps the poetic old git didn't really uproot the flower...he might have been high on laudman and only thought he did.But I doubt they'll give you a plaque.

Vicus Scurra said...

Richard. John Otway. Really?
Dinah. Do you mean he just made stuff up? What kind of art is that?

Pearl said...

I got yer plaque right here.

:-D

Pearl

Vicus Scurra said...

And where are you going to put it, pray?