Friday, July 17, 2009

Normal service will be resumed shortly

You will all have seen the excellent news that North East Hampshire is to get its own ecotown.
North East Hampshire is always at the forefront of movements that will help to shape the future of our planet, and this is no exception.
For those of you who have been too busy watching the sainted Andrew Strauss scoring runs at Lords, I should explain that someone has decided that if we are to provide housing for the increasing population, then that housing should at least be constructed with care for the environment.
There are those who say that this is all bollocks, we shouldn’t build anything anywhere, at least near where I live, blah blah blah.
Bollocks. I welcome the new neighbours. I hope the whole thing is as a success. If I still live here by the time it is finished (about 10 or 15 years from now) the construction will be a great inconvenience to me, no doubt, and there is a possibility that the view from my house will be spoiled by the reopening of a stretch of railway that the twat Beeching had closed down. (Beeching is still in hell, been raped on the hour by Himmler, and will remain there for the next 7,000 years.)
Bordon/Whitehill is described as a garrison town. This means that the major occupier and owner of land is the Ministry of Defence, and that the town is a very undesirable place to live, even for those such as I who have very little appreciation for town planning and architecture. It has little to offer, every other shop seems to be a purveyor of fast food of dubious quality, and in general it looks as though it has staged a dress rehearsal for the bombing of Dresden. When the army vacates, during the next couple of years or so, then there will be large tracts of brown belt land available for redevelopment.
I have disabled comments on this little tract, as I don’t want anyone to think that my opinion or that of anyone else who visits here is worth anything. If you want meaningless debates there are lots of outlets for them on the internet and elsewhere.