Thursday, April 14, 2005

A call to action

My dear friend, Mr Gamon, has vowed to remain on the sidelines for the duration of the election, and not trouble us with his opinions.
I find this somewhat unsettling, as I had been relying upon him to make some cutting observations, and thereby saving me the trouble. I was hoping that I could continue to post the occasionally portion of rubbish, without getting too disturbed by the ridiculous posturings of our candidates. I understood that every now and then I would have to go over and abuse Boris, and that I might post the occasional comment on the site of my new friend, Dicky. I have also signed up for the Austin Mitchell site, but so far not contributed anything. I feel a little patronising towards Austin, as he is old enough to remember when his party had a few principles and ideals and weren’t a windblown hotchpotch of smarmy gits. He is also quite funny (his web log is Austin Powered – a reference to a contemporary cinematic production, I am told).
So, dear readers (a Mrs Trellis of North Wales), please petition our Mark to abandon this ludicrous oath, and to keep us entertained with his observations.
Mr Gamon is a splendid author. I recently read his book “Briton” and would like to use this vast forum to recommend it. In my view, his primary gift is that of storytelling. Apparently, the book is carefully researched, but what impressed me was his simple style, and the avoidance of letting his characters lapse into rhetoric when speaking. A damn sight better than many of the best sellers I have read.
If enough of you buy it, he may be able to give up whatever absurd activities he undertakes during the day to keep the wolf from the door, and become a full time writer, with no excuse for failing to update his web journal several times each week.

26 comments:

Mark Gamon said...

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
My cheeks are pink. And it's not the wine.

Mark Gamon said...

Whoops. Sorry. I didn't think that aaaaw word was going to do that. My cheeks are pink for different reasons now.

Anonymous said...

mmmmm. His cheeks WERE pink last night, as it happens....;)

broomhilda said...

And to which cheeks would you be referring?

Vicus don't worry, I don't believe the Mark will last a week without being able to resist the temptation of offering up his opinion on your upcoming elections. We shall heve to berate him until he does.

Anonymous said...

I don't know, I think he has enough on his plate.
Tried to google him so see where I can view this book of his and found this:
http://whimsicalrevolution.blog-city.com/

Frankly it's a worry.

Mark Gamon said...

Spelling, Caroline. GaMon. Single consonant, loooooooong A. Sounds like Game On. See me after class.

I love having an almost-doppleganger who's a Virginian basset hound owner. Thanks for bringing him to my attention...

Mark Gamon said...

PS: my dear friend Mr Vicus has provided a link wherein the book may be purchased. If that fails, an email via my blogger profile should start to sort it out. You can theoretically order it through Amazon but they'll only ask me and it'll take weeks.

Mark Gamon said...

I'll shut up now. Thanks for the free advertising space, Mr Scurra...

Anonymous said...

OK. I knew it wasn't the right spelling, but, like you, I'd be pretty thrilled too.
When I put in my real name nothing comes up. I mean nothing.

I just feel proud.

Isn't it great to have a chat without bloody Vicus wanging on all the time?

Vicus Scurra said...

Cazza, you old trout, you know that you are always welcome to pour your meaningless and inane diatribe all over my comments section.
Now, shall I leave you two alone for a while? Just give me a shout if there is anything you need.

granny p said...

Is anyone else allowed to join this love-in? Can't keep up with all the satire me; so will keep it short and simple.

Vicus Scurra said...

No, join in, please, I'm going to leave now, and turn the lights off.

Mark Gamon said...

(Stumbling around in the dark, trying to find the light switch)

Damn. They've all gone. A love in and I missed it...

Vicus Scurra said...

It was new Labour that told me to switch off the lights - what do you make of that?

Anonymous said...

Hang on a moment. Why is my wife alone in this darkened room?

Can't you see how sodding difficult she is without you lot encouraging her?

Vicus Scurra said...

How do you think I feel? I post a well reasoned, stylish and interesting article about literature, and these buggers start a bloody orgy in my comment box.
Stop complaining, old man, it's not my fault your lady is out of control.

Anonymous said...

Ah well, at least you are acknowledging the fact I AM a Lady now.

I must apologies for that comment from TOM - he's normally so polite and correct. He's off to bed now with a cup of cocoa and a swift left hook.

It gives one great joy to know that the proles can still learn.

Mark Gamon said...

Orgy? What orgy? i still haven't found it...

broomhilda said...

Mark, you are not allowed to partisipate in an orgy until you have done you duty by commenting on the up coming elections!
Until then, It shall be kept hidden from you.

Ouch, who stepped on me?

Vicus Scurra said...

So, Mark, if you had to choose another participant in the orgy would it be:
a) Virginia Bottomley
b) Estelle Morris
c) Sandra Gidley
d) Melissa Crawshay-Williams
e) Robert Kilroy Silk
Please make sure to tell us all the reasons for your choice.

Mark Gamon said...

Melissa Silk-Bottomley. No particualr reason. Don't blame me for lowering the tone of your comments column, now...

Anonymous said...

Well, I think we all know who Broomhilda would pick...

*ducks down*

broomhilda said...

Adam, just whom might that be?
(BTW - ducking down will not protect you)

Vicus Scurra said...

I think 'ducks down' was what he is wearing, B.
He is as careless with his apostrophes as he is with his morals.

Simon Holledge said...

Ahem. Is this the latest posting?

Vicus Scurra said...

Simon, is that the dumbest question?