Sunday, September 28, 2008

Odds and sods

My friends at the BBC report the following:

“The US Congress has recommended that a presidential pardon should be granted to the first black world heavyweight boxing champion.
Jack Johnson won the title in 1908 but was later convicted of transporting white women across US state lines for immoral purposes.
Johnson served nearly one year in prison for what is now seen as a racially motivated conviction.
Congress stated that Johnson's success motivated other black athletes.”

To clarify, I think that they meant to imply that Mr Johnson inspired black athletes to achieve success on the sports field, rather than to transport white women across state lines for immoral purposes.

I have to say, however, that I would rather be involved in transporting white (or any other colour) women across state lines for immoral purposes, than chucking a discus or getting seven shades of shit knocked out of me in a boxing ring. I’m funny like that.

*******

I would also like to voice my appreciation about the return of “The News Quiz” and the radiant Ms Toksvig to Radio 4. Despite the presence of the remarkably unfunny Francis Wheen. Although, as this is a written medium, voicing it is probably not very effective.

*******

The Torygraph, earlier this week, reported on finding a recipe book belonging to king Richard II. We should take this as good news, as it is an indication that we have finally run out of living TV chefs. Again, I have to put forward an alternative view. I think we should bury the current lot before we start digging up dead ones.

13 comments:

Dave said...

Who won the poetry competition? I need to prepare an appropriate welcome.

Vicus Scurra said...

Dave. I know that you don't get many visitors, but please be patient. I will ponder the appropriate moment to declare a winner in the next couple of days.

I, Like The View said...

what amazes me is that you read The Telegraph vicus. . .

Vicus Scurra said...

I can read. I even know some long words.

I, Like The View said...

I can read too! hey, we have something in common. . . (I don't know many long words though)

Zig said...

wht peotry competition?

Zig said...

?

Zig said...

I can neither read or spell

Rol said...

Neither can Vicuss*, it seems. How do you chuck a discuss then? Is that like throwing your old exam papers out the window, or tossing Jeremy Paxman off a fast-moving train?

Oh, hang on, is this one of those times when you've misspelt for humourous effect and I've completely missed the gag like the dumbarse what I am?


*sic

Romeo Morningwood said...

The dichotomous nature of British Cuisine, even when presented by dead Tyrants, would be relegated to my list of my favorite Oxymoronic terms.
I believe that it was George Carlin who made me 'hip to' these perplexities back in the 70s:

Military Intelligence
Christian Science
Resident Alien
Jumbo Shrimp
Silent Alarm
Open Secret

realdoc said...

I would quite like to be transported over a line for immoral purposes, can one apply?

FirstNations said...

q: what happens if i transport stephen hawking over a state line for immoral purposes?



a: not a hell of a lot!!
geddit? because he's paraly

yeah.

so did i win the poetry competition?

Vicus Scurra said...

Realdoc. Just take a seat in the waiting room and someone will call you.
Firstnations. No, you don't win. Donn won. As it says in that thread. And you won't win anything unless you read things carefully. I wish there was a state line somewhere.