Saturday, January 06, 2007

Saturday. No bugger reads it

Some things that made me laugh.

  • From “Overheard in New York
    Tourist fighting his way off the train: Look, people. You actually have to let us out of the train before you can get on.
    Old guy: This is New York, son. A simple 'Fuck you' will do.

  • The “The Thick of It” special. I love satire. For those of you unfortunate enough not to live in the UK, if this programme is eventually broadcast elsewhere in the world, do not miss it. Buy the DVDs when they come out, order it on the internet. Do not miss it, it is more vital than your children’s weddings, more important than your funeral, probably better than sex and that job interview can go screw. The writing is superb, the acting brilliant – they even managed this special without the lead character (the actor playing him is currently embarrassed, let’s hope temporarily), and Peter Capaldi’s performance is good enough to win 3 Oscars, the Eurovision Song Contest, the Ashes, Mr Universe and the “Guess the number of slugs in the bucket” competition at my village fête.

  • “Jam and Jerusalem”. Started slowly and got better each week. The highlight for me was a little cameo by the wonderful Miriam Margolyes as a headmistress attending her local surgery for a smear test, to the embarrassment of the doctor who was a former pupil. As with most of Jennifer Saunders’ writing, almost all of the main characters are female, which gives it a unique flavour.

And I am very sorry about the incident in Sainsbury’s. I would like to take this chance to apologise to the very nice young man who served me this week, and who had probably had his quota of idiots for the day.

NYM : Did you have a nice Christmas and New Year?

Me: Yes, 1958.

NYM: 1958?

Me: Yes, that is the year I had a nice Christmas and New Year.

Not funny or clever. I will go in next week with a paper hat on my head, talk about “all the trimmings”, the queen’s speech and Cliff Richard, and stuff myself with the flesh of murdered animals in commemoration of the birth of baby Jesus.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Greetz....THIS exiled Yorkshire bugger read it.... Now off to my bed where, following the reading of the blog, I am sure I will sleep soundly.

FirstNations said...

no sports here, either.
HA!

Unknown said...

Huh?

Rog said...

For the record-

NY Subway: V. funny.

The Thick of it: Best thing on TV all year.

Jam & Jerusalem: Shite. Less than the sum of its parts.

You in Sains: Tour de Force, dear fellow.

Dave said...

If you post at 11.35 pm on Saturday, you can't expect that many people to read it on a Saturday - other, perhaps, than our 'Cousins'.

Geoff said...

I'm loving The Thick of It.

Good to see some new MPs who'll do anything for a leg up. Even not wearing a tie.

Betty said...

Yes, why doesn't The Thick Of It get the acclaim it deserves? Peter Capaldi's reaction to the MP's disastrous interview on Newsnight - "it's like watching John Leslie at work". Brilliant. Looking forward to the new series, whenever it arrives.

tom909 said...

Vicus, I'm with you on Jam and Jerusalem. But I always wonder how people not from Devon get half of the jokes. Can't help thinking it is a bit of a pension scheme for all Jennifer's friends though.

Vicus Scurra said...

Yes, Tom, I am always amazed at how people who do not live in Devon manage to achieve anything. I guess we are just lucky.

broomhilda said...

1 - fuck off actually works better.
2 - I absolutly love Jenifer Saunders, Her humor is superb.
3 - My dear Vicus. I just wanted you to know that Haggar has let me up off my back long e4nough to read your post. Hope that you do the same for your wife.
BTW did you get the badgers and ferrets?